So Counterpunch has posted an article attacking the Bay Area Anarchist Book Fair for using a venue owned by a BDSM porn company Kink.com. The ABF has published quite a good response here. Anyway below are some thoughts I had on the issue…
– Promoting disgust at alternative sexual practices like BDSM in order to further your political goals is kind of bigoted
– Why is using a venue owned by a porn company worse than any other company, including as was pointed out in the ABF response, universities that profit from war research etc?
– Why can’t they find a woman or even a sex worker to write about this stuff rather than some guy trying to promote his book?
– Why is he going on about “the anarchists” as if it’s one faction where everyone agrees? Seems to be trying to say that a very broad group is all anti-feminist or something.
– Some of the ABFs have had some really groundbreaking Safer Spaces policies to deal with abuse within activist circles (there is some discussion about this here). This is really a very difficult issue to address and it’s a lot easier to focus on symbolic stuff like what venue is used than actually DO SOMETHING DIRECTLY about violence in the community.